About the Town of Brownsburg
The Town of Brownsburg is a suburb of Indianapolis, Indiana located in Hendricks County. With more than 28,000 residents, the Town of Brownsburg offers a high-quality school system, quality parks and trails, and a strong business climate.
Five elected Town Council members serve as the legislative/executive branch while the elected Clerk-Treasurer serves as a chief financial officer. A Town Manager hired by the Town Council manages daily operations and serves as the chief executive officer. Town facilities and operations include water and sewage treatment facilities, a street department, fleet maintenance garage, parks, and recreational facilities, fire and police, and administrative offices.
The Town of Brownsburg is one of the fastest-growing communities in the state. Brownsburg has been recognized three times by CNN Money magazine for being among the nation's "Best Places to Live" for its low crime, a strong economy, affordable homes, and excellent schools.
- Best place to live in America (#18) - Money.com
- Best small city in America (#58) - WalletHub
- Safest City in Indiana (#10) - Safewise
- Best suburbs to live in the Indianapolis area (#9) - Niche
- Best suburbs for young professionals in the Indianapolis area (#11) - Niche
- Best place to live in Indiana for families, 2019 (#6) - WalletHub
- Best city to live in Indiana, 2019 (#13) - ChamberofCommerce.org @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
To foster a welcoming environment that promotes business development and a variety of educational, employment, and quality amenities for all.
3% Tax-based Growth: Strengthen our competitive position through infusion of investment.
History of Brownsburg
The area now known as Brown and Lincoln Township was once unbroken wilderness along White Lick Creek and was occupied by the Delaware Indians. White settlers began to arrive in the early 1820s. The Town of Brownsburg was formed shortly after in this way:
- James B. Brown settled in Brown Township in 1824, thus becoming Brownsburg's first settler.
- William Harris started buying land along what is now the intersection of Main and Green St. in 1835. This was the foundation for the Town of Brownsburg, then called Harrisburgh.
- In 1836 the Town attempted to establish a post office and discovered another Harrisburgh existed in the State of Indiana. The name Brownsburgh was adopted.
- Brownsburgh became an incorporated town in 1848. However, a growing and struggling community during the Civil War made it difficult to maintain. The Town was incorporated a second time in 1870 and elections were held.
- In 1863 Brown Township was divided, becoming Brown Township to the North named after its first resident and Lincoln Township to the South after President Lincoln.
- In 1893, the "h" was dropped from the name, resulting in Brownsburg.
Source: "The Village of Brownsburg" by Peg Kennedy and Frankie Konovsek