Services Index

Stormwater Utility

What services will I receive as a result of the stormwater utility, How are the stormwater utility funds spent?
The Stormwater Utility is designed to provide a broad range of services related to stormwater quantity and quality such as public education, storm system maintenance, inspections, management, reducing the amount of stormwater pollution associated with illegal connections and discharges and public drainage improvements throughout the Town. These services might not directly affect your individual site at a given time, but these services must be broadly funded from all parcel owners within the Town to collectively have a positive effect on stormwater and water quality.

How is the stormwater Utility calculated?
Equivalent Residential Units (ERUs) are used to assess the Stormwater Utility. It was determined that the average residential lot has a total of 2,900 square feet of impervious surfaces. An impervious surface is any surface that prevents water from penetrating the ground. Examples include buildings, driveways, parking lots, concrete surfaces, paved areas, gravel areas, tanks and any other features that do not allow rainfall to soak into the ground. The average square footage of impervious surface area is known as an equivalent residential unit. Each residential property within the Town is charged for one ERU per month at a pre-defined rate. Non-residential properties are also charged based on the amount of impervious surface on their property. The total amount of impervious surface area on a non-residential parcel of land is divided by 2900 square feet (one ERU) to determine the number of ERU's associated with a given parcel. These properties are then charged a pre-defined rate per ERU per month. For example, a commercial property with 11,600 square feet of impervious area would be charged for 4 ERUs (11,600 sq. ft. /2900sq.ft.) and would pay a monthly stormwater utility fee of four times the residential rate. The Town's authority for collecting the Stormwater Utility is found in Chapter 56 of the Town of Brownsburg's Code of Ordinances and Indiana Code 36-9-23.

Who has to pay the stormwater utility?
All properties within the Town of Brownsburg are subject to the stormwater utility.

I pay drainage fees to Hendricks County. Do I have to pay the stormwater utility fee as well?
Yes. Town residents currently paying ditch or other assessments to Hendricks County will continue to pay for those assessments. The Hendricks County Surveyor's Office is responsible for the maintenance of County Regulated Drains, even when they are within the Town. Monies from the County Regulated drain assessments are paid solely to the County for management of regulated drains under their jurisdiction. Monies from the Stormwater Utility is solely for the management and maintenance of Town owned and operated stormwater facilities, infrastructure, and programs.

Contact Us

61 North Green Street
Brownsburg, IN 46112
Get Directions